Monday, July 6, 2009

New Testament grace... in the Old Testament?!


"You there! Yeah, you! Don't do anything enjoyable or I will straight KILL YOU!"

I'm sure many people have heard others refer to what I call as God's cosmic mood swing. It's the thought that pervades society that in the Old Testament, God was really pissed off, but then in the New Testament, God chilled out and became nice. So on one hand you have this omnipotent and omniangry God just laying on the old school judgment, and on the other hand you have Jesus in white robes talking about love and joy and happy things. It's like people think Jesus was a hippy and God was his disapproving father.

When you examine the concept of Biblical GRACE in light of this viewpoint, it would be easy to say that grace is something reserved for the New Testament and that the Law and judgment resides in the Old Testament. Sure there is some truth to that, but it's certainly not all-encompassing. In fact, I read a passage this morning that left an indelible mark on my heart and mind in the realm of grace. It was Isaiah 43:25...

"I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins."

This is God talking to the nation of Israel not long after he does as OT-God should and condemns them for their idolatry and wickedness. He starts talking of the future Messiah He promises them and all that He will do for their nation despite their unfaithfulness. But here's the best part: WHY DID HE DO IT?

"For my own sake."

Jesus came not because the nation of Israel earned it, not because their sacrifices were pleasing to God's bloodlust, not because He was a hippy or a pushover. Jesus came for His own sake, because of who He is, the essence of His being. He came because He is good, He is love, and no matter how far they strayed from Him, He never stopped caring about the well-being of His people.

If that's not grace, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment