Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How Do We Tumble Down a Hill?



I found a document buried in the archives of my computer hard drive, and in it a quote that I originally intended to write a blog about. However, on further reflection, I think the original author already said enough. So I'll just leave it at that...

"How do we tumble down a hill? A foot placed incautiously on an unsteady rock or loosened turf, an ankle twisted or a knee buckled, and all of the sudden we are gone, our body lost to our own control until we find ourselves sprawled in indignity at the bottom.

So it seems apt indeed to speak of the Fall. For sin, too, must always start with but a single misstep, and suddenly we are hurtling toward some uncertain stopping point. All that is sure in the descent is that we will arrive sullied and bruised and unable to regain our former place without hard effort." -Anna Frith

Source: Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

-Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment