Friday, November 5, 2010

How to Add "Mom" to Your Resume?

My professor brought something up in class the other night that really put into words how I've been feeling for quite awhile but couldn't articulate.  The discussion was basically about how our society teaches us mixed gender messages and then expects us to be successful in relationships.

Basically, little boys are taught how to be manly, tough, strong, and independent while little girls are taught how to be caregivers.  We tell little girls it's okay to cry and be in touch with their emotions giving them dolls and playing "house" with them, and then when they start developing into women, we tell them they must now be strong, independent and ask them about their career goals.  Does this seem messed up to you?

This results in really confused young women, not to mention the fact that if and when they do get married, if both the man and the woman are supposed to be self-reliant, successful and dedicated to their careers.... who is going to raise the kids?

Is the woman going to take care of the house, the husband, the kids, and keep adding to her resume?  How do you be the ultimate caregiver and be that strong, independent, career woman?  Our self-absorbed western society is a really complicated system.

I completely resonate with this, and I know a lot of women who can relate.  I'm speaking in blanket stereotypes for the most part here, but a large majority of women have the innate desire to plant themselves, nest, take care of their husbands and bust out a few little rug rats.  And these desires do start when we're young and playing barbies with the neighbor girls.  High schoolers today, instead of being encouraged to continue in the art of caregiving and taking care of a home and family, are asked where they are going to college and what they are going to make of themselves in terms of a career.  I don't know where or how you grew up, but in my family it was just sort of assumed that I was going to college.  It didn't really feel like a choice.  And when asked what my major was and what I "wanted to be" when I grew up, I felt like I needed to have some smart answer to impress people, because if I just said I wanted to be the best mom and wife I could be, somehow that wouldn't be good enough.  (For the record, I never did find that "smart answer" because with my set of gifts and talents I couldn't justifiably squeeze myself into the high-paying profession box but this is just the way it felt as an 18 year old ;-)).

No, I'm not having an identity crisis, and no there's nothing wrong with going to college and making a better life for yourself.  I'm just being challenged right now in the way that I look at the world and the society I live in, and I think that we need to be careful in raising this upcoming generation and projecting our "smart" ideas of what we think success is onto them.  The more advanced the world becomes, the more confusing life is getting... and I think we need to start addressing these mixed gender signals right away.

What do you think?  Can you relate to this?  What messages were you given when you were younger?  How did your family of origin shape your viewpoints on career development vs. family?

2 comments:

  1. You can't imagine how much I relate to this right now. As a motivated, bright young woman and because of my current career path, people will tell me that I should be a college president or ask what I hope to get my PhD in... I hate to admit that I am often ashamed to tell them my life goals have nothing to do with those visions of grandeur. I don't care if I ever run a successful company, I want nothing more than to make the best cupcakes out of all the moms in the PTA. :)
    I pray that our society turns back to the Bible and we begin to desire for our children, boys and girls, the things of the Kingdom, not the things of this world. Life isn't measured by the length of your resume. I need to be reminded of that time and time again.
    Thanks for you insight, Brianne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Brianne!
    I was raised pretty much the same way. And now that Caleb and I made the choice for me to stay at home so that I can take care of Mikayla, I have been struggling with the guilt that this society feeds us, that it's not good enough, or that I should provide for my family in other ways than taking care of her. I've always wanted to be a stay at home Mom and wouldn't want any other job right now, but we still have people asking us "When are you going back to work, are you going back to work?", almost as if it's expected. I just pray everyday that I can raise my daughter to be stronger than all those messages we are sending to all our young ladies and young moms. And I couldn't agree more with Allysa?, I will join in that prayer!! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete