Sunday, July 25, 2010

Heat is the Enemy of Productivity



I've been discovering (re-discovering maybe) this summer that excessive heat is the natural enemy of productivity. Take any task that you have any desire to complete, add give or take 110℉ and that task quickly becomes insurmountable. Even if you manage to somehow complete the task, your remaining energy and wherewithal to complete subsequent work diminishes rapidly. As attempts to continue working progress, this draining effect is exponential.

Extreme heat results in a peculiar condition of the mind. Any task, no matter how menial, makes you feel like you deserve a break. Merely walking outside to take out the trash warrants a cool drink and 30 minutes of watching Wipeout. This same act done in reasonable weather is hardly noticeable. Similarly, upon completion of your work, you are left with an unrealistic view of exactly the scale of your accomplishment. You can look back, put your hands on your hips with pride and exclaim, "Look at what I've done!"

What I did: Took out the garbage
What I felt like I did: Hiked a mountain with 50lb pack

What I did: Replaced brake pads on car
What I felt like I did: Conquered the Babylonian Empire

What I did: Went grocery shopping, filled up gas in car, picked up dog poop
What I felt like I did: Ran a marathon

I think you get the idea. There are exceptions to the rule though. If the task involves using water, such as washing the car, or hosing off the back patio, the negative effects of the heat are more or less neutralized by the cooling effects of beloved H2O. In general, though, heat will be the bane of your existence when it comes to trying to accomplish anything in the summer in Phoenix. I wonder if I can just put off everything that needs to be done until winter...

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I agree! I feel like I've had a year of putting things off because we lived in the FROZEN TUNDRA of Chicago during the winter, and then moved to Phx in the Spring, just in time for Summer. So the spring months were full of moving, and so nothing else was accomplished.

    Hoping the cooler weather comes soon so that my kids can be dressed in clean clothes, and my car can have gas :)

    ReplyDelete