Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mother's Day: A New Mom's Search for Meaning Through Pain

Ever since my mom passed away in 2006, Mother's Day has been a tough day for me.  Hearing everyone talk about how wonderful their moms are and how much they love them is just a painful reminder that my mom isn't here anymore.

BUT.

Now I have a new reason to celebrate this day, and I could not be more ecstatic about it.  I now get to experience Mother's Day in a new way.  I have wanted to be a mom for soooooooooooooooo long, and now it is finally happening.  Motherhood is such a gift, and I feel so blessed to have the privilege of having this beautiful child growing inside of me.  Being a mom will give this day new meaning, and from this day forward, I don't have to dread it anymore.  Life has now come around full circle.  Where there has been death, there is now new life.  I am constantly reminded of the lyrics from Matt Redman's "Blessed Be Your Name," referring to the reality of human suffering and praising God through the pain.

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord blessed be your name

For all of you out there who have lost your mom and struggle with Mother's Day, I am reminded of these words from 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18:


"For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.  And so we will be with the Lord forever.  Therefore, encourage one another with these words."

Can't wait to join her in the clouds before we go to meet the Lord.  She better wait up for me!

3 comments:

  1. Brianne,
    I always love when you write about your mom! Not because I want you to feel sad! But because most of the time the words you write are exactly how my heart feel as well! loosing my mom in 2006 as well, I have always dreaded mothers day. But now like you said it has a whole new meaning! I hope you are loving every second of your pregnancy because it is truly a miracle from God!
    Enjoy your first mothers day with that growing baby!
    ~Breanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in tears! I could blame it on the hormones, but I think it was your sweet, honest heart. Happy First Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woh, that was weird Breanna---I was commenting on your blog at the exact same time you were writing on mine haha!!

    Aw, thanks Allysa. I always blame everything on pregnancy hormones haha... ;-) Happy First Mother's day to you as well!! xo

    ReplyDelete